Friday, November 26, 2010

follow up

So in a short follow up to my last blog, I want to praise and laud the American tradition of Thanksgiving, which I had explained to me by a teenager from Massachusetts as a celebration of this Indian dude who taught the pilgrims how to hunt back in the day (paraphrased). After enjoying a Thanksgiving meal with some American friends tonight, I am currently in a slight food coma, and can still taste the juicy turkey and succulent ham that formed the centrepiece of the meal. in my previous post I mentioned the air of welcome and intermingling of aromas in the Galway Christmas market, and in case anyone hasn't recognized, food has an effect of making me extremely content. Being present during the preparation the meal, I was impatient, to say the least. It was like watching people eat on television, a tantalizing teasing torment, which could not end soon enough. As the meal was served, a variety of tasty American dishes with which I was not familiar presented themselves. I only hope that someone, somewhere, has published a 'Thanksgiving Cookbook' because I plan on making this an annual event, whether or not I'm in the USA. I think this is definitely yet another foreign tradition that I am totally happy to subscribe to. In the dark days in the depths of November, when the only light we can see is the distant light of Christmas, why not fire up a turkey early in concert with our cousins across the pond?
peace and a full belly.
Dermo

No comments:

Post a Comment