Sunday, October 7, 2012

I'm not usually competitive, but...

Okay, so my first time entering a poetry competition yielded no results. That probably should be more demoralising than it is. The rules stated that the entries had to not have been published elsewhere beforehand. I took this to include online media (i.e. this blog), so the poems I entered were a mix of things I either had lying around, finished or semi-finished, and one that I scribbled about ten minutes before the deadline. To be honest, I think that's probably why I don't feel so bad about it. It was a last-minute idea that didn't go as I'd hoped. Oh well.
Anyway, since the competition is now over, I assume it's okay to stick the entries up on the blog, so I'll be doing that over the next few days. Here's the shortest one. I originally wrote it as a song verse, but the rest of the song never got written. It would have been good though, I'm sure of it.

Oh the howling gale blows
But not as loud as my nose
The rain on the windowpane
Could well drive me insane
But that I’m stocked well with porter,
With whiskey and rum,
And I’ll sing songs and tell stories
Until Doomsday comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment