Monday, June 6, 2011

I do love to read... despite what you've heard

I hate it when I've started reading a book, put it down for a day because it was intense, or because I was too hungover to read, or one of the many other reasons I give myself not to read, and in that time, I either start reading something else, or I forget that I was reading it, or I leave it in the bathroom and only read it when I'm on the throne. But the WORST thing that can happen, is when I try to return to it, and realise that I just don't want to finish it. Sometimes I submit to that feeling, but rarely. In an earlier post, I mentioned a book I was reading called 'The Lost City of Z' which I did not want to finish. I did finish it, however, and I'm glad I did, as it turned out better than I expected. Which is why I feel bad if I actually give up, as the book could turn around and become something gripping. I was inspired to write this post today, as I have just been looking at my bookshelf, and realised that I'm falling behind, as I keep accumulating books, at a much faster rate than I have been reading recently. I think a major reason is that I've been driving myself everywhere recently, whereas before, I used to just hop on a bus or train and read until I got to my destination.
Anyhow, I've compiled a list of the books I have half-read and forgotten about, and then one of the unread books, and attempted to put them in the order in which I intend to read them. I do enjoy making lists, I hope you enjoy perusing them!
until next time,
Peace and paperbacks
Dermo

Half-Read
1. Sword of Shame - Medieval Murderers (current reading)
2. The Yellow Cross - Rene Weis
3. Eachtraí Krishnamurphy - Gabriel Rosenstock (ongoing)
4. Krishnamurphy Ambaist'! - Gabriel Rosenstock
5. Ag Greadadh Bas Sa Reilig/Clapping In The Cemetery - Louis de Paor
6. For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway
7. Ólann Mo Mhiúil As An nGainséis - Gabriel Rosenstock
8. The King's Gold - Arturo Pérez-Reverte

And once I'm done with those:
1. Lords Of The Bow - Conn Iggulden
2. The Voyage of The Catalpa - Peter F. Stevens
3. Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee - Dee Brown
4. Boy With an Injured Eye - Ronan Sheehan
5. Attila - William Napier
6. Bullaí Mhártain - Síle & Donncha Ó Céileachair
7. The Doctor of Thessaly - Anne Zouroudi
8. Freacnairc Mhearcair - Michael Davitt
9. Resistance - Owen Sheers
10. The Devil is an Irishman - Eddie Lenihan

2 comments:

  1. You must give recommendations - I need new books to read, Dermo! How is For Whom the Bell Tolls going? I have it on my to-read list as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've all but given up on FWTBT.. its still in my laptop bag for those moments when I decide to read instead of going online. but it's slow going. I have finished Sword of Shame, Eachtraí Krishnamurphy and Lords of the Bow, and am still working on The Yellow Cross. my biggest recommendation is the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson. I enjoyed it immensely. it's a commitment though, eight books in three volumes, very wide ranging time period and geographic scope. fun fun.

    ReplyDelete